The overall objective of this practice area is to foster ICT-enabled youth innovations and entrepreneurship in agriculture. CTA defines youth as 18-35 years old in its youth strategy.
Activities under this practice area are mainly implemented through CTA’s Agriculture Rural Development and Youth in the Information Society (ARDYIS) project. Its design is motivated by the need to strengthen youth engagement in agriculture, to support their livelihood opportunities and contribute to the modernisation and consolidation of the agricultural sector.
It engages youth in agriculture by supporting:
- ICT use by young farmers and agro-entrepreneurs to enhance their businesses.
- Agricultural promotion and awareness creation via social media.
- Young people’s development of ICT services and applications for agriculture.
- The promotion of young peoples’ other ICT uses along agricultural value chains (in areas such as e-extension and precision agriculture).
Target audiences include:
- Young farmers and agro-entrepreneurs
- Agricultural training course students
- Young ICT innovators
- Youth living in urban and rural areas in ACP countries and interested in agricultural, rural development and ICTs.