CTA’s Plug & Play – Tech-Dating for Agriculture is an event usually organised in collaboration with international conferences and workshops to showcase a range of ICTs and mobile platforms developed and being implemented ‘in the field’. It gives participants a structured hands-on introduction to emerging ICTs for agriculture.
Plug & Play allows innovators to demonstrate their systems in turns thereby allowing participants to experience a number of innovations of interest. Participants have time and opportunities for one-on-one discussions with peers and innovators on challenges in the field, what is new, and what is working. Participants are encouraged to engage with the innovators during the sessions. It is a fantastic opportunity for a valuable and very practical insight into new technologies and a true hands-on experience with demonstrations by prestigious application providers and experienced practitioners.
Innovations are selected through a competitive process to closely parallel the broader conference theme and streams and to meet the needs of all stakeholder groups. Innovators are given one minute each at the beginning of the event to pitch their innovations to the audience from which participants decide which one to visit. Innovators are then given rooms/booths and allocated time to demonstrate and engage participants on the potential of their innovations.
- ICT innovators: It offers them the opportunity to demonstrate their solutions to interested clients.
- Agricultural value chain actors: It enables them to discover the latest ICT platforms for their agricultural activities.
- Investors: It provides them with a unique platform to identify viable areas for investment.
- Donors: It presents options for discovering emerging areas for support.
- Policymakers: It creates room for understanding and exploring potential areas for policy and decision actions.
CTA has a unique track record of organising Plug & Play events. The first of its kind was organised in Kigali, Rwanda during the 2013 ICT4Ag International Conference. Around 40 different innovations covering almost all components of the agricultural value chain were demonstrated.
In July 2014, the second Plug & Play event was staged in Nairobi during the Fin4Ag International Conference. About 15 innovations specific to agricultural finance were featured.
The third Plug & Play event was organised in Arusha, Tanzania in December 2014 during a market information systems (MIS) Training Workshop where ICTs and mobile platforms supporting MIS especially data collection, processing, analysis, dissemination as well as agribusiness activities such as tracking field activities, vouchers systems, and subsidy programs were demonstrated.
For more information on past Plug & Play events, please visit:
- Plug & Play at ICT4Ag Conference, Kigali Rwanda: Link l
- Plug & Play at Fin4Ag Conference, Nairobi, Kenya: Link
- Plug & Play at MIS Workshop, Arusha Tanzania: Link
- Plug & Play at AFAAS Extension Week, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Link
- Plug & Play at Global Forum for Innovations in Agriculture (GFIA), Durban South Africa: Link
- Plug & Play at World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), Geneva, Switzerland : Link
- Plug & Play at GIZ Green Innovation Centre, Feldafing, Germany: Link
Other activities aim to promote and ensure CTA’s ICT4Ag work is known and recognised globally includes presentations at international platforms.
- The World Bank ICTs in Agriculture Community of Practice, Washington DC, USA (February 2016).
- Global Forum on Innovations in Agriculture (GFIA), organised in collaboration with CTA, Durban, South Africa (December 2015).
- ICT4Ag Workshop Co-organised with GIZ on integrating ICTs into Green Innovation Centres of GIZ, Feldafing, Germany (November 2015).
- 2nd AFAAS Extension Week, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, (October 2015).
- Brussels Briefing on Big and Open Data organised by CTA and IFPRI, Brussels, Belgium, (September 2015).
- Crowdsourcing for Agricultural and Food Data Workshop organised by the Joint Research Centre of European Union, (July 2015).
- The 6th Annual ICT4D International Conference by the Catholic Relief Services (CRS), Chicago USA (May 2015).
- Bridging the Digital Divide in Africa Workshop organised by BMZ, Berlin Germany (May 2015).
- The Global Forum for Innovations in Agriculture (GFIA), Abu Dhabi (March 2015).
- MIS training Workshop by IFDC, EAGC and CTA in Arusha, Tanzania (December 2014).
- Expert Consultation on Convergence by CTA in Rhenen, the Netherlands (October 2014).
- AGRF by AGRA in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (September 2014).
- EDC Workshop organised by IFPRI in Addis Ababa (September 2014).
- GFRAS annual conference in Buenos Aires, Argentina (September 2014).
- Remote presentation to the British All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Agriculture and Food for Development (July 2014).
- WSIS organised by ITU in Geneva, Switzerland (June 2014).
- Smart ICT for Weather and Water by IFAD/eLEAF, Wageningen, the Netherlands (March 2014).
- Presentation at AGRA Headquarters, Nairobi Kenya (March 2014).